Friday, February 3, 2012

President Obama

     Last week I used way more words than I needed to (or probably should have), so this week I will try to make do with a lot less.
     Our current president is an obviously polarizing figure.  Without saying whether I am for or against him, I thought I could say something about the job he is doing.  I think he must be doing a hell of a job, because it seems that everyone (Republican and Democrat alike) is pissed off at him.  Which is how things really work in a democracy, if everything is going as it should.  Nobody gets it all their way.  Everyone must compromise, so no one is happy.
     Try to remember that the next time you are casting your ballot.  And think about this, if you do vote.  Most people have a very vague idea about voting.  The truth is that you are supposed to cast your vote for what is in your best interest.  You aren't supposed to try to decide some nebulous 'greater good' for the rest of the country or be some straight-ticket voting party robot.  You are supposed to act in supreme self-interest, and damn all party rhetoric or what any talking head or Hollywood know-nothing spouts at you.  If your interests coincide with more people than not then you will see that things are done they way you want a little more than not.  But you wont get everything your way, so be prepared for some disappointment.
     It really is as simple as that.
     I only have one more thing to add.  For all the people who try to impress upon me their love or hate for the current president, the current status of our foreign policy or military actions, or the state or the union, I have a question.  Did you vote in the last election?  If your answer is 'yes,' I am amenable to reasonable discourse.  If your answer is 'no,' however, please help yourself to a nice warm glass of "Shut the hell up!"

No comments:

Post a Comment