Monday, February 13, 2012

This one's about writing.

     Part of the reason why I started blogging was because of writer's block.  I've had it for awhile now.  Years.  As someone who spent their college career learning to be a writer, it's pretty damn annoying.  There is a cure, though.  Write.  Anything.  Each day, just get some words on paper.  For example, I keep a daily journal.  Occasionally I even make entries on successive days. Now, as someone with a little technical skill at writing, I will give you the one piece of advice that has served me better than any others as a writer: write like you speak.
     To make sure you have done this once you write something, read it out loud.  The difference between what you will think is good on paper and what you will think sounds good will amaze you.  This will serve you no matter what you are working on, be it a personal letter, your grocery list, or the next great American novel.  Although, if you're going the novel road, do yourself a favor and start small.  Short stories of one thousand words or less.  If you can get a story into that small a space, then you can start building up to bigger things.
     I plan on finding a way to post some of my fiction writing online.  When I do I will post how to view it here.  This will serve two purposes for me.  The first is because I don't care about getting paid for what I write.  The funny thing about being a published author is that writing is an art, but publishing is a business.  If you create art for the express purpose of profit, I'm not so sure it's art.  The second is to get some public feedback on my work.  I already know it doesn't suck, I've had professors tell me that much. The question is, is it art?  Because writing, as an art form, answers the old saw about art for the artist or the viewer.  What a load of crap.  All art if for the viewer, otherwise it's masturbation.
     Writing is meant to be shared.  That's why it was invented in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment