Wednesday, October 3, 2012

A correction--and then some.

     In the my last post, the last sentence of the second paragraph reads, "You can Google charts for how many each year, but that is an average of 200 people per decade, or about 182 people killed per year."  It should read, "You can Google charts for how many each year, but that is an average of about 182 people killed per year."
     Here are a couple more Rules:
   
     16. If you ever feel the need to start a sentence with the words, "I know I shouldn't say this, but," just shut up.

     17. If you ever feel the need to start a sentence with words like, "There are two kinds of black/white/gay/whatever people," just shut up.

     18. It is not only okay, but also signifies good character and a superior intellect, when you instantly hang up on any machine voice that speaks when you answer the phone.

     Now for some other stuff.  I recently tested for nikyu, the second or lower level brown belt, in Aikido.  The test was a blast, one of the best times I have ever had in my life.  I have received many compliments on my performance in the test, so I think that might have shown.  Not being able to fall (because of a back injury), as is usually required of someone taking a kyu (below black belt ranks) or dan (all the black ranks) test in our school, has made learning the techniques much more difficult than the process otherwise would be.  Getting thrown by a technique--falling from it--goes a long way toward teaching your body how to do the technique when your turn comes around.  Because I couldn't fall, I concentrated a lot more on the physical side than the knowledge side for this test, and it showed in a way i will explain shortly.
     I should explain that our tests begin with a written paper (of varying length, mine had to be a minimum of five double-spaced pages in a 12 pica font) on an Aikido related topic, that must be turned in before testing begins.  When the test begins, there is a question and answer period where the student is required to demonstrate knowledge of the Japanese language, the history of Aikido (as well as its founder, O'Sensei Morihei Ueshiba, and our chief instructor, Sensei Roy Suenaka), philosophical and esoteric concepts, as well as a great number of other things.  After that, you do either the 15 or 50 basic throws.  These are done on the left and right, and some techniques have an A and B to their left and right sides respectively, so that you end up having to throw and be thrown over 100 times on a brown belt or higher test.  Then come optional techniques, where each member of the testing board calls out an attack or response, and the student demonstrates whatever is required with a minimum of five different responses.  For example, I had eight optionals, one of which was tepo-tori, or gun-taking techniques.  I had to disarm an attacker wielding a pistol a bunch of times, and try not only t make it look like I knew what I was doing, but to show some variety and skill while doing so.  After that there are weapon katas, the jo (short staff) and bokken (wooden sword).  We skipped bokken katas for the sake of time this year (we had a pile of people testing), but I am certain we will be demonstrating them when we test again in the spring.  After the katas you enter the home stretch of testing, the randoris.  Randori is a Japanese word that means, "beat up the guy standing in the middle of the mat."  You get out in the middle of the mat and everyone jumps on you, basically.  You do three of these, back to back with no break, starting with a jo randori.  Then there is a general randori, where any attack is to be expected and any Aiki response allowed.  Lastly is the ryokatatori (pronounce it 'yo-kata-tory') randori.  This means everyone comes at you while trying to grab the collar or lapels of your gi and you have to keep turning continuously to throw them off to one side or the other.  By this time, no matter how great a shape you might be in, you are gassed.  The testing board wants to see what you do, what you are made of, when you have nothing left.
     Now that you know what testing is like, you will be better able to understand my explanation of how my test went.  When I was called before the testing board, I bowed and answered what questions I could.  I missed several, but that didn't matter to me.  Not because I didn't care, but because I had become totally relaxed and had decided that I would just have as much fun with the test as I could. Instead of high-speed slammy waza (the Japanese word for techniques), I did slower, more controlled Aikido.  I just wanted to show that I was relaxed, focused, and in control.  The outcome of the test meant nothing to me, nor did any missteps or other errors.  Instead of how I usually am, which is kind of like a hurricane (if you ask any of my friends), I became the calm eye of the storm.  It is the closest I have ever come to takemusu-aiki, or infinite martial creativity, the goal of every martial artist.  it is also the closest I have ever come to being able to see the world as it truly is (without nearly dying), rather than the distorted image we all perceive through the lens of our egos.  Now here is my favorite part: some of that stayed with me.  I am no longer the same person.
     And I like the change.

No comments:

Post a Comment